Monday, May 25, 2009

Raymond Patrick "Declan" Kenny IV





I wrote this shortly after delivery:


Thursday night we started the induction with cervadil (41.2 weeks). For no sleep, cramping and contractions every 2-3 minutes I was very disappointed to find out I was still 1/50/-2 at 7am. My day nurse's name was Sally and she was wonderful. She was the picture perfect L&D nurse. At 7am she got me in the jacuzzi and that was great. At 8:30 I was AROM'd. It hurt terribly and I tried to run off the back of the bed. I had tons and tons of (clear) fluid. It was one of the weirdest feelings! Sally was "busy" for awhile before starting pit at 9:30 hoping that my contractions would get stronger. I had a dose of IV pain meds around 10am or so which helped for awhile and then another dose at 1pm. I've decided that contractions hurt. Alot.

I wasn't able to move alot which I think really hurt me - on I was so fuzzy at times and then I had to be monitored. At 4pm I decided that I was done and wanted an epidural. I'd had back labor and baby was OP and I was in so much pain I couldn't relax. Pat and Sally both said that if I were and 8 or 9 then they wouldn't let me. But I was 6/90/-1. I think God himself came in the form of the anesthesiologist. It was nice because it wasn't very strong, and I could still move my legs, lift my hips, and was able to walk 30 mins after delivery. I was complete at 4:45. I labored down for quite awhile (until I feel part of the head lol). I pushed for less than 10 mins which was great(maybe 6 pushes). Baby's heartrate was in 50-60's for about 8 mins and so he had some help from the vacuum. Pat got to help deliver the body and cut the cord. Declan briefly came to my stomach, but then was taken to the warmer. The NNP came and helped the nursery nurses bag him - he had apgars of 2 and 9. I was told that he was as "blue as a blueberry". I had a second degree tear. But he was fine after his initial start. Raymond Patrick "Declan" Kenny IV was 7lb 9oz. and 19.5in long. He was born at 5:34pm. My mom, Pat's mom, Pat's Gma Rose and my sister were all there for the delivery.

We were discharged early on Sat. afternoon (I had to do some research to find a ped that would go along with it), got home, got him undressed and found a "rash" on his back. Well we had our parents visiting and they agreed it didn't look right. So the on call ped said to go to CMH south. It looked like someone had taken adhesive tape and ripped patches of skin off. It was raw and some were oozing a little bit. In the ER they thought it was impetigo so they did blood cultures, cbc, crp, and bili and admitted us for r/o infection (everything came back ok). The next two peds to examine him came up with two theories 1. betadine (or some other chemical) got on his back or (more likely) 2. he was placed on something in a radient warmer that was too hot and burned him. So he now has an antibiotic ointment and it's healing, they're smaller and scabbed over. Great 1st Mother's Day huh? CMH south was wonderful though - it was a good experience.

Declan's great at breastfeeding - I'm sore and it's harder than I thought it was would be in some way, but easier in other ways. Pat is a great daddy, any fears or worries I had were to put to ease. He loved the L&D experience, I've only changed three diapers since the baby's been born, and he brings me everything so I don't have to walk the stairs and arranges pillows during feedings.

No comments: